Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Summer and Home Fitness


Summer is finally here and it's time to start doing new type of fitness program. If you are like me living in the Northern US being stuck indoors all winter is zero fun. During the summer I can really start doing home fitness instead of visiting the gym.

Gym Difficult in Summertime

I have found over the years it is easier to go to gym in winter, but in the summer it is difficult. The summer time I have yard work, flower garden and vegetable garden to keep me busy. Unfortunately this hurts my fitness program of going to the gym four or five times a week.

Last year I started my own personal home fitness program. I found I like my summer home workout better than going to the gym. I started using some workout DVDs from various "workout gurus." Won't name names, but the usually fitness women we have seen on TV hundreds of times. All are very good.

Get Out of House

I do not just workout inside my house. I incorporate a couple different fitness programs. One part is to walk and/or jog the neighborhood in morning or evening. This is very relaxing since it gets my blood flowing. I usually do interval training by running for one minute and then walk the next minute. Many fitness people promote this style of working out vs. running continuously for 30 to 60 minutes.

Go Biking

Here's another summer time workout. Go biking. I go by myself or with my kids to change up my workout. Take a look to see if your community offers any bike paths. Bike paths give you a great way to bike several miles without worrying about cars on the busy roads.

I know this article was supposed to be about home fitness, but all the programs start at home. You do not have to drive to your local gym for a great workout. Walk outside your door and take advantage of the sunny weather in your area.

Different Types of Workouts

I love the summertime because I do have multiple ways to workout. I can still go to the gym, which I still do, maybe one or two times a week. The other days I am doing some type of home fitness. I could do a DVD workout, ride my bike or jog around the neighborhood.

For all of us who live up North we do not have the nice weather our friends to the South enjoy. However, Southern summers are a lot hotter than our Northern summers. Well we do have hot weather just not quite as hot on a consistent basis. Take advantage of the early mornings to do your home fitness. I do this when I know the temperature will be over 90 degrees for the day.

Have Fun When You Exercise

Exercise is meant to be fun and enjoyable. The best way to make your home fitness fun is to change up the location or type of workout. Earlier I mentioned to still use the gym, but not as often. Walk your neighborhood and talk to some neighbors. You may develop a new workout buddy to help keep you on track.

Overall, we need to stay in shape by doing some type of workout several times a week. I found doing home fitness fits better than going to the gym during the summer.

Go outside and enjoy nature.








Tina Danfield is a staff writer and resident fitness guru for http://thefitnessoasis.com. She is a working mom who tries to fit in home fitness into her busy schedule. Staying healthy is part of having a healthy family. Learn tips and ideas at The Fitness Oasis where you can find additional articles and home fitness products


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Host | lasik surgery new york